Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Giselle

We drove to Philly on Sunday to visit friends and family. Harry got to hang out with PopPop and Aunt Toni and his best friends Dominic and Belle while Kevin and I lunched with my high school chums. Usually just Shelly and Melissa, we actually had a party of 9 this year.
It is always nice to catch up with everyone, and hopefully we will make it to Baltimore for a mid-year gathering in late Spring. I may be getting together for other events prior, including a trip to see Giselle, probably at the Academy of Music. As the case may be, I tend to see the same productions over and over. I am beginning to think it is not just by choice. It is the forces at work. The last ballet I saw was Giselle at the Kennedy Center. I mentioned to D'Lynn that this was years ago. It was, in fact, nearly 15 years ago with Leanne. And I drove! I was an adult! We were in college! And that was 15 years ago. Crazy.
Saturday I turn 33. I have hardly remembered that it was my birthday, so I hope Paul is not offended that I forgot his as well (I was reminded in time but still no gift to speak of). I think I will take us rock climbing at Sport Rock. I usually buy a gift for myself as well, or do a little something, so I think that is what it will be this year.
I started celebrating for myself when I was 16. I think my mom took her gifts back that year, so rather than be upset, I ordered myself a dozen yellow balloons. I made myself happy, and it's been a tradition ever since. Back then I would get upset if things didn't go my way. They always had when I was little, so it was hard to accept as I grew older. I eventually learned to just not expect things. I do my best. My overall goal is just to not be disappointed. It works for me. And actually, these days, mostly all I hope for is time to relax! I have so much more time to hang out with Kevin and Harry now. For the most part, I am doing what I want to be doing and I have the things that I want to have. But a trip to the movies or a day of rock climbing would be awesome...at least until I can teach Harry to climb (I so cannot wait!).

No comments: