Thursday, May 26, 2005

The 100 Acre Wood

Back to pooh. I know a couple of you were curious.

During my adult years, I have not been a fan of the Pooh gang. I liked them as a child, but as an adult they struck me as neurotic.

Each one has an issue.

Tigger is kind of fun…but I suppose he could use some Ritalin.

Eeyore…ugh!

And Rabbit- what’s his deal?

Pooh’s voice is just too much for me. So blah. And that honey obsession. What’s that about?

It seemed to me that children should have toys that were happy. Surround them with happiness. Happy, happy, happy. Happiness breeds more happiness.

I guess I thought a room full of Tiggers would be cool.

In all of my vast wisdom, it had not occurred that children have many moods, and they are not equipped to deal with them all, hence, the temper tantrum



Harry was having some trouble sorting through his emotions the other night. It ended up being his clinically depressed Eeyore doll that seemed to help him through.

The Eeyore doll was a Halloween treat (along with a banana) from the Wagners. It is a good toy. The ears flap up and down and it sings, albeit a bit sadly. Very “woe is me.” But know what? At my point of recognition, Harry was very “Woe is me.”

If he could have expressed himself more eloquently, he may have said “I am sad. I am a baby and I am not able to do the things I want to do. I want to talk on the phone and not go to sleep. It’s not fair!”

Some other internet blogs tell me
“...When most people think of Winnie the Pooh written by A.A. Milne, they tend to think of childhood and innocence. What one does not realize is that the fantasy characters of Winnie the Pooh have just as many problems as the characters of Married with Children do. The innocence of these childhood stories hides the disorders that the main characters suffer from.”
I guess I am a bit jaded, because what I see is not only a "silly old bear," (but) a bear with an eating disorder called obesity.

Christopher Robin's imagination never fails to run wild with adventures. He is definitely the most creative and intelligent little boy, but he also shows symptoms of schizophrenia.

Tigger sure is a happy and bubbly character! How can any one put up with him? He never stops moving. Today we would treat Tiggers behavior as attention deficit hyper active disorder (ADHD).

Eeyore: that poor soul. How does he live with himself? He never fails to have his head down. Perhaps a doctor should prescribe him with medication for manic depression (I would disagree here…Eeyore is not bipolar, just depressed).

Rabbit is another case. Is he ever not worried about his garden or angry at his friends in the one hundred acre wood? Can it be that Rabbit has anger management disorder and is a worry wart? (Let’s have Jack Nicholson play him in the movie).

Last but not least is little Piglet. He is constantly shaking. The way he shakes makes him look like a chi wa wa. It seems he suffers of a Phobia of everything. I am not trying to play a psychiatrist, but, "A.A. Milne didn't write the Pooh stories and poems for children but instead intended them for the child within us."

Or, as I see now, to help Children identify with their emotions.

I know older kids did this with Harry Potter after 9/11 (one Newsweek article mentioned kids feeling like “Voldemort was rising”).

Another blog breaks things down in the following way:

1. Pooh sits thinking, when Tigger surprisingly enters and "bounces" Pooh. Bouncing established as the focal behavior. Pooh is established as very sympathetic, but Tigger is introduced as obnoxious.

Perhaps as an ADHD kid myself, I could not identify with why Tigger was obnoxious.

Tigger was great!

Full of energy and very happy.

The others were just big lumps.

I guess if kids can become aware that Tigger is a little too bouncy for his own good, it may help them behave a bit better…

2. A reprise of 1, wherein Tigger bounces Piglet. Establishes Rabbit as the "antagonist" ("I'm savin' my best bounce for old longears").

I could easily identify with why Rabbit was a pain in the ass. I’d save my best bounce for him too! Okay, perhaps this is still how my mind works. Maybe the morale here is that you should not be an angry, self-important freak like Rabbit, because people don’t like that.

3. Tigger bounces Rabbit, and causes general destruction, which he doesn't even recognize as the result of his behavior. Tigger is characterized as insensitive to others. Bouncing is firmly established as something "bad."

There is a time and a place to bounce, and it is important to think about the results of our actions and their affects on others.

4. A meeting is held. It emphasizes Rabbit's perspective (Pooh sleeps), and begins to establish Rabbit as an "anal" personality and less than sympathetic (vs. Pooh's attractive detachment, and Piglet's role as "follower"). Rabbit develops the "big explore" idea to humiliate Tigger out of bouncing. But the idea of retribution is unpleasant.

Summary: The conflict established in part I is between childishness (and irresponsibility, represented by Tigger) and adulthood (with a hint of self-righteousness, portrayed by Rabbit). We are left with a degree of tension and uncertainty.

Sounds like something 20 year olds should read instead.

Part II

1. The big explore begins, during which Pooh's incessant need for honey is pointed out. Rabbit, Piglet, and Pooh "lose" Tigger (through Tigger's own enthusiasm -- he bounds ahead of them). Their cold-heartedness is emphasized when they hide in the log to make sure Tigger remains lost. Our sympathy for Tigger is at a high point, and for Rabbit at a low point.

What about our sympathy for Pooh? He needs intervention. He is an addict! This is a great example of why addictions are bad! I may go out and pick up a copy of the book today!

2. Rabbit, Piglet, and Pooh attempt to return home but discover they are lost (as dramatically represented by the walking-in-circles gag). There is a strong sense that Rabbit is not "in touch" (vs. Pooh who is). Rabbit comes off as pompous. Yet we do feel some sympathy: It is clear that Rabbit can only see things his way.

Rabbit needs to open his mind a little. Pooh is a little too open. Perhaps he hung out a few too many times with “Uncle Timmy”?

3. Piglet and Pooh return home through Pooh's tummy homing device. Rabbit's inability to deal with things on a more immediate basis is explained by Pooh: "I didn't hear them (the honey pots) before because Rabbit would talk."

Rabbit is apparently a buzz kill. Good lesson for young Harrison: Don’t be a buzz kill! Oh- back to being a cynic I guess…ignore that last part…Although, no one likes a buzz kill. Maybe we could just focus on Rabbit…

This may be a good lesson for 3 year olds. I know Kevin is pretty intolerant of the 3-6 year old set. They don’t stop talking! They are also very self-important. The view of Rabbit could be a good lesson.

4. They are bounced by Tigger, who is not at all lost (the splendid idea has failed). So, paradoxically, the dumb one "can't get lost," while the smart one can. Tigger goes off to find Rabbit.

Perhaps the great big fat giant lesson here is that just because people make it a priority to keep in good physical shape and remain in good spirits, this does not mean they are stupid. There are many sad, self-important folks out there who would have you believe the president is stupid and Tigger-like. Tigger’s not the one who’s lost. And it’s the Democrats who wig out at conventions. I bet Tigger also can catch a football better than Rabbit - Wait…what was I talking about?

5. Rabbit is thoroughly lost, and in a high tension segment, his mind begins to play tricks on him, until he too is found and bounced. He is dragged home in complete humiliation.

Summary: The contrast between "adult" and "child" is further explored, with the pluses of childlike instinct and the minuses of adult thinking/talking/scheming emphasized.

Hmmm…childlike instinct…

Part III

1. Roo and Tigger go off to play. Establishes bouncing as fun, emphasized by Kanga's adult overconcern. Tigger seen in a clear new light.

I have always liked Roo.

2. Skating scene: Rabbit enjoys himself skating. Tigger, in a typical display of bravado, imitates Rabbit only to cause, once again, a disaster for poor Rabbit. A reminder of Tigger's negative side: the braggado and the excuse "Tiggers don't like ice-skating." Legitimacy of Rabbit's perspective maintained.

I am not familiar with this scene. Again, I bet Tigger can catch a football.

3. Roo and Tiger continue their search for "what Tiggers do best," resulting in the reckless climbing of the tree. Tigger is terrified by the results of his actions. In light of his recklessness, this terror seems like "just desserts."

Look before you leap!

4. In a light-hearted side-piece, Pooh and Piglet track themselves and eventually discover Tigger and Roo's dilemma.

5. Everyone (Pooh, Piglet, Kanga, Rabbit, and especially Christopher Robin) come to Tigger and Roo's aid. In his fear, Tigger makes a promise never to bounce again, and Rabbit insists they take him up on it. In a bizarre side gag, the narrator saves Tigger.

6. In the last moments of the story, we go through Tigger's ultimate humiliation. Note how annoying the continued smirk on Rabbit's face becomes, and the effect of Tigger's true sadess. Significantly, the child (Roo) is the one who brings up the value of the "old Tigger." An outpouring of sympathy from the other characters (and the audience) puts pressure on Rabbit to rescind his demands. Tigger bounces Rabbit and encourages all to bounce with him.

Funning they should mention annoying smirks. Probably some eye-rolling on Rabbit’s part too.

Summary: The child's perspective wins over the adult. But both Tigger and Rabbit are forgiven their excesses. We have a happy ending and complete closure.

I think somewhere along the way I turned this into a political satire. I didn’t mean to, but I was enjoying myself. (Tiggers bounce!)

Point being, there are a lot of good lessons here. There are a lot of different personalities. Most children’s books do not present these types of complex emotions and conflicts to work out. I think I will pick up a copy today.

For the record, I was wrong about Milne’s book. I forgot the important lessons it has to offer, and I forgot that not everyone is happy all of the time. Too much bouncing can tire you out.

No comments: