Friday, November 19, 2004

Happy Laughing Baby

I ask you, how do you clear your mind when they give yoga poses names like Happy Laughing Baby? I was minding my own business today at Pure Prana, http://www.pureprana.com, hands holding my feet, trying to focus, when the Yogi translates the Sanskrit name for the pose to be "Happy Laughing Baby." The pose is known in some circles as Dead Bug, but I digress. Next thing you know, I can't wait to get out of there and pick Harry up.
First thing I saw when I woke up this morning was a happy, laughing baby. Harry was chatting away in his crib for at least half an hour this morning before I made my way in to say hello. I think he is getting used to this AM routine and knew I was coming. He was quietly laying on his back with the biggest smile on his face you have ever seen. At 6:20 AM! This brightens my whole day. His father, I think, is frightened by it---assuming he notices.
This is not to say Kevin neglects him. Kevin just does not wake up until 9:30 (so he says...I would push it back to at least 11). Sure, he is walking around, driving even, just not awake. I, on the other hand, am in about the same shape at 9PM. Once I am up in the morning though, I am up. Somehow we have managed to be compatible.
It has become pretty obvious at this point that Harry is also a morning person. He wakes up happy as can be, and can entertain himself for quite some time. 7PM is a different story. If he is not within 3 feet of his crib at this time...yikes!
So, after a bit of discussion, and some help from the Toddler Whisperer, Kevin and I are reconsidering our wake up patterns. See, in Secrets of The Baby Whisperer, Tracy Hogg explains how to read babies cues. It is not too hard to do. I think I am pretty good at it---except at night. If Harry wakes up while Kevin is at hockey, I can put myself into a near panic, while Kevin is as calm as can be in teh middle of the night. Kevin feeding Harry breakfast however...that can be interesting. But I seriously think the combination of Harry being awake at night and me being awake at night, and then the two of us trying to deal with each other---well, it is a rather difficult situation. This is, of course, when I even realize that he is screaming. I finally realized I just lose the ability to read Harry's cues- his thoughts and emotions, at night, just as Kevin has trouble at 7 AM (though, I have to say Harry himself is a little bit easier to deal with then...athough, I guess if you do not have the energy to deal with the little ball of energy...that could be a problem too).
Anyway, I think we are compatible because of our different abilities. It may be too eralyto put this in writing, butI think I may not have to get up for Harry's 3 AM feeding anymore! I suppose I will never again be sleeping in on weekends...but, for a morning person, this seems worth it to me!

No comments: