Monday, November 08, 2004

The wheels on the bus...on the way to Gymboree

Harry went to his first Gymboree class on Saturday! http://www.gymboree.com
I have not been that interested in the Mommy and Me classes. And I figured since Harry was at daycare, he was singing songs and meeting kids and Gymboree would not be necessary. But, we had a free coupon, so we went. It was SO much fun! For all of us, I think!

There were 4 other kids in the class. One was there with his mom only, but he was almost 1, and had an older brother who had been through Gymboree. The other three had both parents, and Kate also brought her grandparents and their video camera (Kevin said I could not bring a camera,and grandparents did not count).

The set up is great! Teh room is brightly colored and fille dwith mats and balls and slides. They have short activities, and then free play. They alternate for the full 45 minutes of class. I admit, Harry did not like many of the tummy time activities. He was having so much fun just walking around the room (holding our hands, of course). He also happened to be the only one talking in class. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. Right now it is cute.

He did like bouncing up and down on the log. The bubbles truly impressed him. The slide was kind of fun. The parachute...laying on his back was not his cup of tea. SO, he rolled over while we were walking around in circles with the kids on top like. He definitely was not a wall flower.

Harry does not seem to be the least bit shy. Separation anxiety should be setting in soon, but my freind Sandra's mom, who we had lunch with after the class, said that not all kids get it. She siad this while Harry was giggling and bouncing up and down on this stangers lap. Sandra did not have problems with strangers either. (Sandra is a recruiter now, so her personality was obviously set very early). I remember being pretty shy as a kid, and I would bet money that Kevin was. I am pleasantly surprised that Harry just seems so confidant already. Even without breast feeding! (Sorry, had to through that in there. LAST TIME! I promise!).

The songs at class were annoying, but they grew on you. Sadly, they have continued to grow ...like mold. I cannot stop singing them. Especially the one about "pound and pound and pound that axel." I may remember this because one of the kids in the class was named Axel. Something to keep in mind when you are naming your kids, though I guess you cannot cover all bases. Personally, I would not have seen that one coming! I definitely felt uncomfortable singing it though!

SO, I think we will sign up. It IS pricey, but I really think it is worth it. At this point, he is in daycare with only two other kids. They are never even all there at the same time. Susanna and Sid are old hat. Time to branch out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunday Harry got to go swimming. He stayed in the pool for an hour and we only got out because he was rubbbing his eyes. Even with an actual nap beforehand (a rarity), he was still exahsuted from his swim. So much so that he fell asleep while eating lunch. I'll be sure to post those photos ASAP!

No comments: