Tuesday, March 28, 2006

My explanation of the previous explanation:

In short.... These are the people who we as young parents are lumped in with.

Similar to the whole "generation X" crap coupled with "Kurt Cobain is the voice of my generation," this is a bunch of BS. To say that THIS is what today's thirtysomething's value in the workplace and in their life, as a vast broad swipe is crap.

However, this is what lots of people see as an explanation. And it's also what pisses off people like me, who consider ourselves relatively responsible with our decisions, values, and desires.

The way I look at it... It's the difference between people who long to stay young, versus those who will do what they can to keep from getting old.

Is it really the case that young 'adults' think that they have "...a real connection" with someone 10 years younger than them because they listen to the same music, wear the same clothes and watch the same TV?

Do these adults actually believe that even if they do meet all of these common criteria that said younger folks actually respect their elders because of it? I tend to agree with the line "... To me, that seems somewhat laughable."

it's about a brave new world whose citizens are radically rethinking what it means to be a grown-up and whether being a grown-up still requires, you know, growing up.

Guess what folks... It does.

So these young 'adults' seem to think they have earned the respect of the younger generation by ceasing to let go of their t-shirts and jeans (now they just pay through the nose for them), but let's have a look-see at how the rest of the world (read: the people who sign their paychecks) think about all of this.

These are the people Jack Nicholson spoke of on the witness stand under ##### Tommy Cruise's questioning.


I couldn't agree more. Yet these are the same folks who Kim gets slammed for denouncing...

The aforementioned explanation was intended to shed some light on the fact that we're not the only ones who see our peer group (peer being relative age, not mindset or socio-economic) as a bunch of bleeding hearts.

Personally, I can't think of anyone else I'd prefer on that wall... I know that I need him on that wall. I would prefer to be able to speak about these things at dinner parties with all of my friends, rather than have some of them have to go over and defend my ability to do so, while some of those over here, remain and complain about how it's being done.

The Freedom of Information Act doesn't need to mean that anyone can find out anything they feel they need to know anytime they want, and then disseminate it any way they see fit. We're all on a need to know basis, and there's plenty we don't need to know.

But I digress.

Essentially what I was getting at, is that the people of my generation, who give others the ability to make sweeping judgments about me, based on a preference for $500 jeans, are a bunch of schmucks.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

So basically, still no Bugaboo Frog? Just kidding. I am happy to discuss all of the above topics with you with an open mind.