Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Deep Thoughts, by Kim McDermott

Moms! Moms! Moms!
How can you be a good mom, if all you do is live as a mom, read about beig a mom, talk to other moms...
I think of it as pre-med syndrome. Or put this way, now that I am on a fibromyalgia study, naturally I have fibromyalgia. Sometimes you need to take a step back.
Do stuff for yourself so that you cannot wait to be with your kid again, and when you are, you enjoy it!
Read other books, so that you learn other perspectives on life, and things flow naturally, rather than just doing what other people say you should do, and worrying because it didn't turn out well.
Get a hobby. That is all I am saying. Get a hobby.
When I worked in psychology, everyone I know had every indication in the DSM-IV. Now I only have the fibromyalgia to contend with. ;-)
But my friends are less crazy! (Family is a different story).

4 comments:

Casey's Dad said...

Can anyone tell me what's going on here???

Anonymous said...

Just someone annoying me again.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dixie-
Thanks for commenting. I was looking for an email, but couldn't find one. It looks like you have a ton of interests though, based on your profile. Being a parent is definitely tougher than a lot of people expect. I personally think I am doing better with a toddler than an infant.
I happen to know a very rude person who can't seem to get over herself. It frustrates me to no end. I try not to be rude back, but the frustration needs to go somewhere.
I guess I have always needed to see myself as something extra, and I guess I even started running just so I coudl have a thing (I was convinced I coudl just buy the magazines and not have to run!).
It is certainly fun to play the mom role, but I just think it is important to know about a lot of different things in addition to child rearing, even if it is about things you do WITH your kids...
Happy to email with you if you are interested. My link is at the bottom of page 1.
-Kim

Kimberly said...

by the way, what links did you go through to find me? Just curious.