Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Pigs.

Often a conversation topic, though I prefer monkeys myself.
I usually give out monkeys at holidays, or frogs, or roosters.
I had a friend who used to like pigs, and I recently learned Lance's aunt, Amber, does as well.
I also learned that pigs do not sweat, so the phrase "sweating like a pig" doesn't mean a whole lot. I suppose pigs are a cousin to the boar. I was afraid we would be attacked by them in Hawaii, but it turned out to be hundreds of birds instead. My dad is waiting for his boar's head now. Once it arrives, I will no longer visit the inside of his home! Yuck!

The pigs I write about today,though, are the ceramic variety. Harry was gifted 3 pigs and one car before and after his birth. He got his first piggy bank from Molly, another from the Wagners that included his name and all of his birth facts, and a monogrammed one for his birthday from the Artmans. He also got a car bank from his Grandma Patty.

Maura Artman saw the cool bank the elder Wagners (a.k.a. Uncle Kris's parents) got for Harry while it was displayed at his baby blessing, and filed it away as a cool gift idea! We still thought it was a great idea when he received the 3rd pig for his birthday. (She had forgotten where she originally came up with the idea!) They have all proved useful! We now have them displayed all over the house, anywhere spare change might accumulate. I took the contents of two of the banks to Chevy Chase today. They weren't even the full ones, but Harry made nearly $80! It is now earning interest in his bank account, and eventually in a higher yielding investment to be saved for his education. We do this annually after his birthday. He has far more money than Kevin or I do, since he has no ATM card. And since he freeloads.

I used to use all of that change. Just ask the pizza guy! Tossing it in the bank seems more beneficial. A lot of commercial banks have those quick change machines now. If not for yourself, why not save it up and send it all to a charity...or for a much needed vacation? Amazing how much accumulates.

Harry's bank gifts have definitely given back!
Thanks everyone!

No comments: