Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Joys of parenting

I put Harry to bed all by myself last night! I don’t think this was exactly the first time ever, but it has been the first time Harry has been aware of it! Kevin chose to work late to make up for some PTO he took when Harry was sick. The day seemed kind of surreal to me. I had encouraged Kevin to work late if he needed to. Now that Harry doesn’t require me to carry him at all times, my body can endure the solo childcare. Harry can even entertain himself for brief periods, which he did while I fixed his dinner. One added caviat, I had to give him his medicine. It really is something awful. The look of betrayal in his eyes as tears roll down his face and he gives in to the madness…anyway, after dinner we watched some Sesame Street (we successfully got him hooked on that. Now we need to find some indoor winter activities instead! I am thinking after dinner music hour) and had a quick bath. I think Harry was cold so he didn’t stay in long. I remember not wanting to get a bath in winter when I was a kid. Cold! As 7:30 rolled around, Harry did not want to get into his crib. Since every other night he goes willingly, I didn’t want to traumatize the wee lad, so I let him find Bailey for one final goodnight hug, and then we called Daddy to see where he was. Harry just wanted to hear his voice. He spent the next hour calmly sitting on my lap on the chair in his room and holding my phone. When he was ready, around 8:00, he handed me the phone and expressed that it was time for bed. The quiet time was priceless! Harry has never been so cuddly…at least not until he started watching television. Now he seems to enjoy having one of us hold him that much more..at least for watching Sesame Street or reading stories. See, TV is not all bad!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Yaaay Sesame Street!

I already took your advice Re: Pop Ons. I think my aunt got him some for Christmas. And he's got blocks and mega blocks that he loves! Thanks for the tips!
I agree, the age info is helpful, but he is usually supervised anyway.