Tuesday, September 06, 2005

No Act is Truly Selfless.

I believe it was Phoebe Bouffet who said this.

I just finished loading up Kevin's entire car with new and used merchandise. His work is gathering actual supplies to take to the DC Armory to be distributed to Hurricane Katrina Survivors.

I feel like I am doing my part. I cleared out some stuff that I don't need/don't want/wouldn't otherwise part with but should and making room in my house so that I can buy newer sheet sets, new flip flops, fresher food products, nicer clothes. I calculate a $2300 tax deduction. I get a warm fuzzy feeling that I get to help someone.

You know that reaction Schindler has when the war is over? You know that look Harry Connick, Jr. has on his face right now? I feel a little bit like that. While I am not directly responsible for the welfare of millions, and no matter what I could give would likely not be enough, I still feel like I should do more. But yet I sit here, sacing some shampoo to take on vacation, saving the T-shirts that I still kind of liking, not parting with that spare box of Gu.

I still haven't donated any money to the cause. I still didn't donate to the fund for a colleague at work who passed, or another friend, or yet another friend's mom. I don't even think my automatic Humane Society deduction is still made.

There are so many causes. And life can be so stressful as it is. I work hard so that I can give, and a lot of the time I do. But I feel like I should be doing more. But then, if I were there, in the midst of it all...wouldn't some part of me feel I was there to be a hero? And wouldn't that be even less selfless? It is all so confusing.

In the meantime, I can get online and donate airline miles- for the airlines I don't fly very often. I can send Bailey's shoes to the ASPCA since she doesn't wear them anyway. Or I can donate cash. But how much? And to where?
ASPCA? Red Cross? Habitat for Humanity?
Even then, it's still a tax deduction.

No comments: