Saturday, May 29, 2004

Another posting from Kim today:


Apparently Harrison is a Deadhead. Fascinating. I hardly recall listening to them while pregnant. I was too lazy to track down a CD, so we listened to mostly Top 40. Is it possible to just be born with an ear for music? I, myself, am tone deaf, so he obviously does NOT take after me.

Harry is a great baby (I am sticking to that). He usually cries when he is hungry or when his diaper is slightly damp---or when we are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. All of these reasons are understandable. But, when the 9 o'clock hour hits, it is meltdown time! My friend Kelly's mom tells me 7-9 is a common cranky time (maybe that is why happy hour coincides?). She agrees with my other friend Molly. Molly's friend has a theory that whatever the mother was doing at this time while pregnant later affects the temperament of the child. The theory makes sense, but I was either in bed asleep or watching TV, too sick to do anything else.

Regardless of the reason, 9 o'clock is cranky hour. Nothing could soothe this child. One day, I decided we would dance, and there was nothing to dance to at the time except The Grateful Dead's Closing show at Winterland from the late 70s. 30 seconds in, the kid was asleep. We checked to see if it was just the dancing. Nope. We could even sit and listen and achieve instant quiet. It was not music in general either. He does like the sound of waves crashing, but is not a fan of Neil Diamond. Mozart does nothing for him. Bach and Beethoven are better, but still not The Dead. We have yet to experiment with Phish. He does like to bounce, as Tiggers do, so I do have high hopes that we will expand our music library. One thing I do know for sure, I am not leaving the house without tossing a Dead CD in the diaper bag. Would it be too strange to add a Steel Your Face sticker to his stroller?

No comments: