Wednesday, December 21, 2005

TC Williams Crew

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday, and for split second it made me happy.
Flashback to 1992. When leaving for college, the only thing I wished for was to not have a fat roommate. Overweight was okay, but I did not want fat. And don't take offense if you think you are fat. We are old now. Things were different 15 years ago.

My friend Justin drove down with my dad and me and helped me lug boxes up however many flights of stairs at Elkton Hall. I think he snooped before I did. "Size 2!" he proudly informed me!
I was so relieved.

By December 1992 I had gone from a healthy 114 pounds (after a prior anorexic summer weighing in at 95) to 156 over the holidays. I turned into a poor college student with no clothes to wear, no money to buy more, and lowered self esteem. I had become the fat roommate. Why? Because size 2 roommate had some sort of parasite, along with a phobia that kept her from eating alone at 3 in the morning!

In case you weren't following, be careful what you wish for.

It goes with out saying that before Harry was born we hoped he would be healthy, but also smart, athletic, attractive and charming. Well, in my couldn't-possibly-be-more-biased way, I think we have achieved all of that.

Back to the bumper sticker, what if Harry decides to do crew in 15 years? What if his swimming lessons pay off, he becomes a great swimmer and a top athlete? What if a fellow crew person falls in the water, Harry jumps in to save the person, and then gets caught up in the undertow and we never see him again? I just don't think I could go on (she says dramatically).

This may seem extreme, but I am pretty sure it was the TC Williams coach that drowned last year after saving one of the students at Crew practice. For my sake, and possibly only my sake, I hope Harry doesn't grow up to be a hero. At least, not a fallen hero.

As if I didn't have enough to worry about...except I really don't...

No comments: