Wednesday, August 31, 2005

"If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break...When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay."
-- Memphis Minnie, 1929 / Led Zeppelin, 1971


I've always been picked on by Kim for not having much of any recollection of my childhood, much less the very early years (which by the way, she cliams to be able to recall quite vividly).

This is certainly true of the time spent in New Orleans, Louisiana sometime between 1973 and 1976. I vaguely recall red brick-like tiles on the kitchen floor, wicker barstools, and Mark Weber (a neighbor) pushing himself around our house on some kind of floor cart at Bryan's birthday party because he had broken his leg.

Beyond that, most memories are based directly off of photos from the big albums my Mom used to keep. She's since disseminated a lot of the older pictures to each of us, which segues nicely into my latest find...

Google is a wonderful thing, and the things you can pull up on the net are just plain interesting. Not that we don't have enough going on in our lives right now, but I decided to throw my grandfather's name in there the other night, and sure enough, up came the Colts Neck FD #1 50th Anniversary page



Grandpa's kneeling, 2nd from the right end.

So here we are coming full circle to memories as a young child...

What will Harry remember about his first house? Anything? Granted it was early in his life (okay VERY early), but you never know. Will he remember the stars that Kim spent the last few weeks of her pregnancy painting on the ceiling? The backyard that had the sprinkler running almost all summer? The big front windows that he never seemed to understand that the neighbors across the street couldn't hear him yelling to them through?

I certainly can't remember anything from Freehold NJ... yes now it's actually out there for everyone... I'm from NJ too.

However, I would certainly hope that Harry is building memories now of his new house, and everything that goes along with it. The back patio, his new room with the fuzzy rug, the front porch, the hose out back.....

Maybe he'll get his mother's memory. Mine is apparently shot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, or shall I call him "jersey kev, " writes interesting things! I liek JK!