Friday, April 23, 2004

Day 1 - In the books.

Today was one of many days of firsts for Harry, Kim and me. First bottles, first diapers, first swaddling attempts (finally a late-afternoon victory on that count), and certainly others. We also enjoyed visits from Kim's father Ed, and her Mom Becky and her husband Allen. Wonderful to have everyone, and for them to meet Harry.

Lots of pics today with many cameras, though not all are digital, so I apologize if it appears we were slacking. They'll be up as soon as possible.

Kim's friend Kelly Brockway also stopped by to see Harry again. I must mention that even though this is the first time she's met Harry, it's not the first time she's seen him. You may recall seeing her name on the sonogram credit that used to be on the front page.

It seems like today flew by, but at the same time, it feels like he's been here forever. I fully expect him to be able to do everything right on the first try. At the same time, I feel like I'm already supposed to know how to do everything. I know how absurd that must sound, but it's weird. Day 1 is really Day 1. You forget very quickly that he doesn't know if what you're doing is right or not... so going with the flow is the order of the day.

It's also strange to think that I spent just about the entire last 30 hours in this room. Other than a few quick trips to the cafeteria and to the car, I've no desire to be anywhere but right here. Even though it was a gorgeous day outside, eve with the brief rainstorm, when I did leave, all I wanted was to get back to my family.

We're really a family now. Of course Kim and I have felt that way for years with Bailey, but now we are in everyone's sense of the word. Ed's doing a wonderful job at the house hanging with the hound and apparently cleaning up the entire neighborhood while he's at it. Can't wait to see what he's done with the place!

So it sounds like we're here until Sunday, then the big move home. More firsts... first ride in the car, first time in DC traffic, and first time to hang with Bailey!

What could be better? DAY 2 OF COURSE!!!


P.S. thanks to everyone for the well-wishes and words of encouragement Whether by phone, email or otherwise, they are sincerely appreciated!!

No comments: