Saturday, April 10, 2004

Saturday Evening Post.

Got lucky and had a surprise office closing yesterday by the aforementioned Dick Patrick. Thanks again Dick. Very enjoyable, and relatively productive day off. That sentiment carried over into today... some things done outside, some things done inside, and some general enjoyment of the springtime weather.

It would seem that we're getting down to the final days of solitude, well as much solitude that Bailey will allow for. The due date goes back and forth between the 14th and the 15th, depending on whom you ask.

We met with another prospective daycare provider on Friday afternoon... a very nice Indian woman who's been with the same service for 10 or 12 years. Her 2 sons, whom we also met, were both very nice, polite young men. Seems like a very good setting to begin forming someone's personality.

Okay - again with the responsibility of controlling the formation of someone's personality and being. Regardless of which side of the Nature v. Nurture fence you're on, either way, he's ours to mold. It's not like a puppy. If they're bad, the most you're dealing with is a puddle on the floor or a chewed shoe. We're talking human. All the things that you told yourself when you were little "...when I'm a Dad, my kids will be allowed to go back in the pool right after eating," all the way up to "...when I have kids, I want them to go to any school they want."

There's a lot of those things you have to remember. I should have written them all down.

I really do hope I'm going to be a good parent. I really want to be, but that's a lot to be held accountable to. So every time I have to be a parent, am I going to have a flashback to my own childhood to see everything from my child's perspective and from that as a parent? That may take a while for those big decisions to come up with the right answer.

I think back to some of the really dumb things I did as a kid - playing with matches near a gas stove, taking things that weren't mine, not telling the truth - I know kids who did many things much worse than I did, but also others whose records were impeccable compared to mine.

Where do I want my child to fall in that realm? Of course I want to have a great kid who does more things that we can all be proud of, than he does things we're not so happy about. However, I want him to live life, and to get something out of it.

Everyone I've met along this path so far has done something stupid. Some a few more than others. For the most part, they're all great people. All with their own story to tell. Some more exciting, some more "exciting." It's all in your perspective. I want Harry to have some perspective, to be able to see what the world is like... hopefully first-hand.

I seem to want a lot lately. Granted it's all for him, but I just hope I'm not coming off as greedy.

No comments: