Saturday, July 30, 2005

Anyone who knows me knows I am not a fan of Dr. Sears. Perhaps, some people who do not know me are also aware of this.

Anyway, I ended up at this website.

Interesting is what I found below: one of the Sears docs not fully supporting nursing!

This is like the Taliban allowing bikinis in some situations!

Don’t be surprised if Osama’s next video discusses why he admires Dubya, because apparently hell is freezing over!

BREASTMILK QUESTION
"I found your site very informative in connection with breastfeeding. I have 5 children; fifth one is 10-month-old baby girl. I breastfed all my four children and they are healthy. I am breastfeeding my baby girl. I have been advised to switch to give her formula milk as my daughter's growth is slow and is on the same percentile. I have been told that the quality of breast milk reduces day by day. Is it true? Kindly enlighten me. I am 35.”

Your baby might be small, but if she is staying on the same percentile on the growth charts, that means she is gaining the normal amount of weight from month to month.

Usually, breastmilk will provide adequate nutrition to about this age (10 months) – after this it is debatable (but I don’t feel like debating now). At this point, inadequate breast milk is probably NOT the reason she is small now, but it could be the reason she doesn’t gain well as she gets older. If she is eating a good amount of food, then the milk or formula will be a smaller percentage of her overall nutrition and probably won’t make much of a difference in her growth. If she is not eating much food yet, then you should look carefully at your milk supply (a lactation consultant can help here).

There are some reasons that mom’s milk could become less effective sooner than this, such as mom getting pregnant. I recently had a patient that just wasn’t thriving even though mom thought she was making enough milk. After a month or two of metabolic testing on the baby, mom finally realized that she was pregnant, and a switch to formula was what this baby needed. Be sure to check our breastfeeding section for ways to improve your milk supply.

Dr Jim, July 05

No comments: