Sunday, July 31, 2005

SNOEDEL

I never had a “lovey” when I was a kid. I had stuffed animals I liked a lot, but no “blankie” or anything like that. I was pretty sure my stuffed animals had feelings though, and some nights, after loading them all (and there were MANY) into my bed, I would sleep on the floor so they would be more comfortable.

“The books” say kids should have “lovies.” This was one of the things I had decided to concern myself with a few months back. I thought it was nice that Harry was so confidant he didn’t need one. I thought it was super that we wouldn’t have to worry about losing anything. But the books said.

I suppose I grew a bit more at ease when he decided he liked to sleep with a washcloth every night. It didn’t matter which one. It also helped to ease me into letting him sleep with potential suffocation hazards (SIDS occupied my mind for the first 6 months of his life. Blankets still make me nervous).

The thing is, most kids don’t get attached to things until they are about a year old. Enter Snoedel. I guess I was still obsessed with the idea of a lovey, so I ordered this “unique sleeping and bonding aid” with his name printed on it. The parents are supposed to sleep with it first, so it picks up your scent, but that seemed rather unhygienic. We just tossed Snoedel in the crib with Blue Bear (a similar lovey) and Baby’s First Snoopy (it rattles). Harry seemed to like them all, but Snoedel has jumped to the head of the pack. The times I have checked on him this evening, Snoedel was either clutched in his hand, underneath his belly while he slept face down with his butt in the air, or touching his cheek.

Snoedel comes to breakfast with us most mornings. Some days Harry snags Snoedel during diaper changes. He’s even made it in the car a few times. Harry doesn’t seem overly attached, but he brightens up when he sees Snoedel.

On a side note, Kevin says Snoedel dives well. He looks like a swan when you toss him up in the air. We spend an hour or so of downtime in Harry’s room before bed each night. Usually only one person can tickle Harry at any given time, so you have to find unique ways to entertain yourself.

No comments: